Nestled in a verdant site at the foot of Mount Paradis, Burlats opens one of the gates of the Sidobre and the Regional Park of Haut Languedoc.
The prestigious listed historical monuments of Burlats evoke a past where periods marked by the refined Occitan culture and religious conflicts have deeply mutilated the village which still carries the stigmata.
Burlats has known through the ages, honors and splendor of the princely residences in the twelfth century, but also the successive ruins caused by the wars of religion in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
The history of Burlats dates back to the Middle Ages, its name appears on notarial acts as early as 974. Originally “villa”, small farm linked to a modest priory, the city, property of the Viscounts of Trencavel, Thanks to the influence of Cécile de Provence, Constance de France (wife of Raymond V count of Toulouse, daughter of King Louis VI and sister of Louis VII) and Adelaide his daughter whose name is now attached to a prestigious Romanesque It would have attracted the most celebrated poets and troubadours. Adelaide will have left its imprint on the time when the courteous and chivalrous spirit of Occitan culture developed. Later, in the 17th century, Burlats became a stronghold of the Huguenots, suffering conflicts that led to its ruin and the destruction of many of its prestigious buildings, including the collegiate church of St. Peter. Richelieu will order that the fortifications be dismantled.
The collegiate church of Saint Pierre, one of the most remarkable Romanesque religious buildings in the Tarn, probably originated in a church of the Carolingian period, but its existence was only proved in the 10th century.
At the beginning of the twelfth century, the church was probably a priory. This Romanesque building will be finished in 1140 …….
Facing the north gate of the Collegiate Church, is the castle, built in the XVIIth century under Louis XIII.
Tour de la Bistoure: It was one of the four or five gates of the Burlats village, fortified in the 14th century. ……..
Adélaïde Pavilion It is one of the rare witnesses of Roman civil architecture, It is a building of the middle of the 12th century, constructed in rubble stones with angle chain in stones.
The building had three levels at the origin. The first level was originally entirely blind. The second level had small openings which were to be used for the defense of the house. The third level was that of the habitat and was blind on the east and north side from which the coldest winds blow. It has five bays, four in the south and one in the west.
Its recent restoration by the Historical Monuments Department revealed the three arcades on the ground floor, highlighting a slightly open first floor. She was probably never inhabited by the Vicomtesse d’Albi. The quality of this house comes from the five large windows on the second floor that illuminated a single room.
The house of ADAM. A Romanesque building from the same period as the Adelaide Pavilion, Adam’s house had to be included with the collegiate church within the perimeter of the former priory.
The capital representing Adam and Eve, who had given his name to the house, was sold in 1935
(Thanks to the Burlats Tourist Office)